Hiyall,

On 29 December 2023 03:58:27 UTC, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.courno...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Guix doesn't/shouldn't make use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH, except in rare cases
>to wrap binaries.  It's better to patch the dlopen calls to use the
>absolute shared library file name.

Fully agree.

Furthermore, '--ld-library-path' sounds like an inflexible alias of a
nonexistent '--ad-hoc-search-path=FOO=/bar' option.

So why not instead write a cute little (name "LD_LIBRARY_PATH") fake package
that does nothing but declare a search path for /lib?  It could live in any
channel rather than further fatten 'guix shell'.

>Perhaps you are missing the package configuring LIBRARY_PATH and other
>useful environment variables for finding libraries?  That'd be
>gcc-toolchain, if I recall correctly.

I might be mistaken but I assumed this was more about running 'pre-existing'
(cough cough nudge nudge) software not built from source.

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

  • Suggestion for a ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: Suggesti... Maxim Cournoyer
    • Re: Suggesti... Maxim Cournoyer
      • Re: Sugg... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
        • Re: ... Maxim Cournoyer
          • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
            • ... Maxim Cournoyer