Hello!

Le samedi 16 mars 2024 à 17:50 +0000, Christopher Baines a écrit :
> This is probably worth thinking about as Guix is in a similar
> situation
> regarding publishing source code, and people potentially wanting to
> change historical source code both in things Guix packages and Guix
> itself.

I see two problems:

1. providing packages;
2. developing Guix itself.

I am sure that 1. is not a real problem, we could just ask the
developer to release a new version incrementing the patch number,
upgrade it on our side, and forget the old version. Garbage collection
would ultimately get rid of the old tarballs.

2. is more difficult, because Guix contributors sometimes change their
names too, and a commit reading “update my name” is not the best
solution. If I understand correctly, rewriting the history would be
understood as a “downgrade attack”, contrary to the ftfy case where the
developer could rewrite the history without such consequences. Is my
understanding correct?