On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 08:48:12AM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> Hi Efraim,
>
> Efraim Flashner <efr...@flashner.co.il> writes:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 05:10:11PM -0700, Ian Eure wrote:
> > > Hi Guixers,
> > >
> > > I want to update the Librewolf package, but it now depends on Rust
> > > branch has versions up to 1.77 — is there a timeline for merging
> > > that, or a TODO list of things that need to be done to merge it?
> > > I'm not sure if I can help there, but would rather direct efforts
> > > towards getting rust updated than patching Librewolf to build with
> > > older versions.
> >
> > I managed to burn myself out on rust stuff a few months ago and I'm
> > finally coming back to the rust-team branch.  There are still hundreds
> > of patches sent for the branch which I had hoped to catch-up on, but I'm
> > fairly certain that the branch is in a good state for merging even now.
> >
> > Currently it has rust-1.77.1.  There is a newer 1.77.2 available, and
> > the newest version is 1.79.  After merging the current branch I hope to
> > be able to move the version of rust on the rust-team branch to whatever
> > the latest version is.
> >
> I’m very sorry to hear that you’re feeling burnt out.
>
> Would it be reasonable to merge the newer Rust versions, without changing
> the default from 1.75?  That would unblock things needing them, without the
> risk of breaking packages which haven’t been updated.
>
> This might not work for other packages, but Guix seems to keep nearly every
> version of Rust around for bootstrapping the new ones, so I think this would
> work.

I'll see about backporting(?) the newer rust versions from the rust-team
branch to the master branch. That way they are available for things like
librewolf even if they aren't used for the actual rust packages yet. It
shouldn't be too hard and I can make sure it doesn't cause problems on
the rust-team branch, even thought it has to wait a bit until its turn
to merge.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efr...@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא