On 8/28/26 17:27, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Hugo Buddelmeijer <[email protected]> skribis:

Apparently I did not have a default key server configured.  Should
Guix provide a default?  I'm quite certain I did not actively remove a
key server.  (I suppose there is value in not providing a default key
server though.)

Yes, picking a default is hard, but maybe we can go with
keyserver.ubuntu.com.

The corollary: if there is no 'default' key server set by Guix itself, and this is something that needs to be explicitly set by the user, then the tooling should not mention such a non-existing default.

Perhaps that is something that unreasonably irks me :-).

Weird because the key was apparently imported.  Could you check
this:
    gpg --no-default-keyring \
      --keyring ~/.config/guix/upstream/trustedkeys.kbx --list-keys
Does it show the key that that was imported above?

[...]

Oh!  ~/.config/guix/upstream/trustedkeys.kbx is empty (0 bytes)!

"gpg --list-keys" shows exactly the same output.  As does `gpg
--no-default-keyring --list-keys`.

Weird.  Perhaps that’s because of the empty file?

I figured it out! The problem was that gpg creates `~/.gnupg/common.conf` that by default contains just "use-keyboxd", which instructs gpg to ignore all specified keyrings, breaking `guix refresh`.

Issue to discuss this further: https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/issues/10895 .

Thanks for suggesting to use strace, I'll try to remember that. strace showed that `~/.gnupg/common.conf` was opened before any of the key databases, hinting that that file might be the problem.

As a workaround, I simply deleted `~/.gnupg/common.conf`.

Resolved for now, but I don't feel comfortable enough with gpg to propose an improvement to the documentation / tooling.


  • Guidance on how t... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
    • Re: Guidance... Ludovic Courtès
      • Re: Guid... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
        • Re: ... Ludovic Courtès
          • ... Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.

Reply via email to