Adam,

FYI: Somewhere on my to-do list is to document the "remove"
attribute for <project> elements.  It is useful for
module definitions that define multiple projects where
you don't need some of those projects, and their
dependencies.  In your profile, you can add elements
like:

  <project name="<name of project to remove>" remove="true"/>

For example:

  <module href="project/jakarta-commons.xml"/>
  <project name="commons-betwixt" remove="true"/>

avoids including the commons-betwixt project in the gump build.
I've found that removing a few unneeded projects can make a big
difference in the number of dependencies you have to include.
You might find this useful in your situation.

Cheers,
Larry