Matt Riggsby wrote:
The CP system isn't broken. It's just not relevant. Or rather, it's just that awards from the GM shouldn't be taken as the sole source of increasing a character's point value. Buying cybernetics with cash will change a character's point value for reasons which are entirely sensible in the game setting, and he shouldn't be saddled with the requirement of "buying it off."As I've said before, this is a setting in which it is realistic and believable for characters to suddenly acquire considerable abilities far in excess of the rate of CP awards the GM may hand out. For a character with a stack of Euros and a desire to do violence, it would be *implausible* for him not to go down to the chop shop and get wired nerves or an implanted shotgun, thus suddenly increasing his point value considerably. Forcing him to pay that off, in the form of not increasing his skills while his companions do or just as suddenly acquiring rafts of compensating disads, would be even more implausible. Game balance is nice, but neither reality nor most fictional worlds are balanced. Therefore, attempts by the GM to force a balance between PC point levels is likely to be a distracting intrusion into the game reality. You can certainly keep track of point value changes ("My blind character just bought some eyes, so he's at 200 points now rather than 150."). I would, if only so I had a general gague for how powerful existing characters were in case new players wanted to join. But unless you play RPGs as a game where the primary point is acquiring abilities (that is, if you tend heavily towards G in the GNS triangle), there's no need to "regulate play balance" and compensate for changes in characters which make in-game sense.
That's the point I was trying to make. I was looking for the section in THS that summed it up nicely, but haven't found it yet. The only real problem I have with this is that it can lead to a fantastic amount of munchkinism. My starting character, the blind, legless, mute, now has a huge amount of CPs to spend at game start. If within the first few gaming sessions he then goes and gets this all repaired via cyber-ware, he's going to be a monster. Now the GM can certainly come in and stomp all over this, but I've known players who would bitch up a storm for having the character creation process restricted. The old, "I should be able to create my character how ever I want" argument. One solution though might just be Hal's original Mitigation idea. If a character buys Blind for the full amount of points, then you could justify that to mean that the eyes aren't just ruined but that the ability to see is uncorrectable. The area of the brain that controls sight has been damaged say. In a real hard-core cyber/bio-ware setting, I'd imagine that blindness would be as routinely correctable as poor eyesight is today.
-- */Mike S./* */--/* */Dolor Temporarius, Gloria Aeterna, Cicatrices Virgines Placent/* (Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal, Chicks Dig Scars) _______________________________________________ GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]> http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l
