On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Onno Meyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Douglas wrote:
>> I always liked the idea of a sealed maglev train in a vacuum tube,
>> very fast, very efficient.
>
> The tunnels will be expensive, of course, so "maglev subways" are
> only an option for densely settled, wealthy worlds or continents.
> Fortunately, those are exactly the places which will be most
> annoyed with shuttle noise.
>
> I recall an artists' concept of an intercity train that does not
> stop at all, instead smaller regional trains run parallel for a
> time and match airlocks.

I don't see why they would have to be so expensive, not that any train
is cheep. They could be above ground in areas and they could be made
of any airtight tubing. I would think that a basic cement tube would
work. I could see them having air locks that open and close as the
train passes to make sure that each section stays airtight.


-- 
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?
_______________________________________________
GurpsNet-L mailing list <[email protected]>
http://mail.sjgames.com/mailman/listinfo/gurpsnet-l

Reply via email to