In my intro to CS classes I didn't use any development environment.  I just
used a regular text editor, you could even use notepad because chances are
in first semester CS you won't be writing programs that are too lengthy.
Once I wrote my programs with a text editor, I used the java compiler that
comes with the java jdk download.  Since you are developing java programs,
I'm assuming you already have the java development kit installed.  Anyway,
the java compiler that comes with the JDK tools is run from the command
prompt with the command javac then the name of the source file, then the
name of the output file if I remember correctly.  I may have the order of
things a bit wrong as it has been a while since I've compiled java source.
But that's what I would recommend.  It's text based, you can run it from the
command line and don't have to worry about learning a IDE.  IDEs are good to
know about, but I think for what you're doing right now this is the most
simple solution.  Check in with your comp sci department and ask them if
that is an acceptable approach, if indeed you are interested in going that
rout.

-Cory

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Wolfe [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:27 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: JAVA cocompilers that are accessible in college work?

GW-Micro users:


     It's me Peter again with a similar message in the same vein like the
last question about Windows 7. I'm taking an Intro to Computing course at a
major university in the southeastern United States. Well, I need to learn
JAVA, a object oriented programming formal language software development
package. Well, I have heard that a supplemental substitute could be a
Eclipse compiler to compile JAVA instructions to the computer. I'm trying to
use the W.E 4 JAVA run time enviromental script from the script manager
right now with failing results. The university prefers the JGRASP compiler
as it's got an automatic feature with additional downloads to allow it to
check your programs and such automatically. So, I'm almost a week behind so
any like help would be great especially if its fast information that is
accurate. I could give more information if you need more information and my
university is Auburn University at www.eng.auburn.edu and you can look from
there to computer science and with Dr. Cross's Intro to Computing. We are
all just puzzled as to where to begin with this monumental issue with the
blind computer programmer on campus. There is also a struggle between my
recommendation of Eclipse and JGRASP compiler over one another as JGRASP is
shallower in functionality overall according to my Teaching aAssistant in
the class. Please write me off list if its lenglthy at [email protected].


Thanks for any help,
Peter


--
Peter Q. Wolfe, AS
[email protected]
If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender
only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is
related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to
[email protected] so the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can
manage your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only. 
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to 
GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to [email protected] so 
the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage 
your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.

Reply via email to