I'm still in Excel 2003 here at work, but I think this is also true in
newer versions of Excel.

If you press Alt and down arrow while you are in the cell header with the
auto filter, a little menu of filter options appears below.  You can then
down arrow through the choices.  In 2003, it starts with "all", "Top 10",
"custom", then a list of the various contents of the cells below.  If
there are blanks in any of the cells in that column, you'll also find
options to sort on blank and non-blank.  I hear the list of options looks
different in 2010 than in 2003.

So glad someone else on the list mentioned the application key.  If you
use this option, the filter list is limited to just the various contents
on the cells, and you don't see the options for top 10, custom and so on.
You'll still probably need the alt plus down arrow tip to select "all"
when you want to remove a specific filter and see everything again.

For some reason, when I down arrow through the options, WE starts each
option by repeating the cell name that I'm in.  I just tried turning this
off in verbosity settings and it still does it.  I also find that, as
someone said, WE sometimes reads the sheet a little funny, repeating other
column headers and such when in auto filter mode, but it's manageable.
Using down arrowing and then back up allows me to confirm that I'm in the
correct column header on which I want to sort.

In case you are curious. sighted people do the auto filter on a little
downward pointing triangle that appears in the bottom right corner of the
column header cell.

I love autofilters and use it extensively in my work.  Happy to help
anyone with questions.  I can explore this more on Office 2010 and home.


Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager
Strategy & Performance Management
Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060



From:   "Petty, Richard" <[email protected]>
To:     'Martha Reaney' <[email protected]>, GW Micro
<[email protected]>
Date:   10/10/2013 02:21 PM
Subject:        RE: auto filters on EXCEL files



I haven?t used this in a while and don?t have a spreadsheet to test with
right now, so this might not be correct, but I believe it is. While in the
column header cell for a particular column, use the application (context)
key. If autofilter is turned on, you should have several options. For
example, you might select the top ten items (highest value), lowest ten,
other values, or custom options.

I?ve found that spreadsheets sometimes don?t read properly when autofilter
is turned on, but haven?t ever had the time to try to figure out exactly
what the problem was.

Richard Petty
713.520.0232, Ex. 122
[email protected]

From: Martha Reaney [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:50 AM
To: GW Micro
Subject: auto filters on EXCEL files

I received an EXCEL spreadsheet with auto filters. The person who sent it
to me said to click on the down arrow in the header column.
I'm having trouble finding that down arrow.  The column header soes say,
for example, State auto filter, so I am sure it is there...

What is the best way to make use of auto filters using Windows XP, WE 8.3,
and either Office 2003 or Office 2010?



This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It 
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended 
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing 
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, 
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, 
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic 
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the 
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose 
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which 
you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from 
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:[email protected] with 'No Promotional E-mails' in 
the
SUBJECT line.

If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only. 
If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to 
GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to [email protected] so 
the entire list will receive it.

GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage 
your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.

Reply via email to