Hi Kevin and Sim Kah,
I wanted to let you know that I can duplicate the issue being reported with Window-Eyes 8.4 not reading the UAC prompt under Windows 8.1. I get no speech feedback when tabbing through the dialog and when using Window-Eyes hot keys such as read active window and speak summary. With that being said, I have had others do some testing and we found that the issue can't be duplicated on all Windows 8.1 computers. On the systems where Window-Eyes reads the UAC dialog, it does so automatically after the dialog is displayed. We will continue to investigate in an effort to identify what might be causing this problem. In the meantime, here are some tips for keeping your computer secure even though you can't read the UAC prompts. Pressing Alt-Y will activate the yes button and tell Windows to grant access to the program asking to make changes to your system. Pressing Alt-N will activate the no button and prevent the program from executing. If you did not perform a specific action to gene rate the UAC prompt, the safest thing to do is just say no. This is one of those situations where it doesn't usually pay off to be curious. If you are trying to install a program that requires administrative privileges and get a UAC prompt, you should have more confidence in answering yes since you initiated the action and know what program is trying to run. Regards, Marc From: Sim Kah Yong <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 19:11:30 +0800 Hi, I am also keen to know the answer please. Thank you. On 8/20/2014 10:17 AM, Kevin Minor wrote: > > Hi. > > I was happily using Windows 7 until last Wednesday when my PC decided > to have a motherboard meltdown. Today I got a new laptop with Windows > 8.1 on it. I installed Window-Eyes 8.4 on it, and, for the most part, > it's working well. I am, however, encountering an annoying problem. > Window-Eyes isn't announcing when the UAC dialogue appears. As an > example of the problem this caused, I was trying to install Winamp > onto this PC. I did the initial configuration, and hit the Finish > button. Window-Eyes then said Windows was saving settings, and the > progress app kept repeating Progressing. I couldn't do anything with > the PC, including ALT+TABbing to other windows. I ended up having to > hit the power button and rebooting. Thankfully this didn't do any > harm. I remembered how to change the UAC setting in Windows, and I > set the level to 1. I then attempted to install Winamp, and I got the > same result, but this time I heard a tone from the PC. I hit ALT+TAB, > and this time Window-Eyes said a UAC dialogue was visible. I got to > it, but Window-Eyes didn't say anything. I hit ALT+Y, and Winamp got > installed almost immediately. My question is how do I get Window-Eyes > to announce what's in the UAC dialogue? I'm currently doing things by > guessing, and this could be dangerous. To the techs at AI Squared > Indiana, if I don't see anything in my email, you'll hear from me > tomorrow. > > Thanks in advance for any ideas. > > GO REDS! > > Kevin Minor, Lexington, KY > If you reply to this message it will be delivered to the original sender only. If your reply would benefit others on the list and your message is related to GW Micro, then please consider sending your message to [email protected] so the entire list will receive it. GW-Info messages are archived at http://www.gwmicro.com/gwinfo. You can manage your list subscription at http://www.gwmicro.com/listserv.
