Susan wrote:
I've seen in cartoons, and the like, pictures of an old style Laboratory
coat (white, high collar, has a flap front that closes with buttons on the
shoulder - tends to be slightly fitted).

Does anyone know where I can find more information about these? Or even a
pattern. Are they real or just a mythical garment?

A quick stab at Google and Froogle shows chef's double breasted chef coats which might be like this, although the early selections were too short. If you keep looking, you might find longer ones.

I don't suppose you're a Girl Genius fan, too? (Online cartoon with mad scientists.)

--
Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

About 1/4 of men and 1/6 of women leave a bathroom without washing their hands. So wash! And use soap. Just rinsing doesnÕt help, and in fact it hurts; wet hands are a great place for breeding more bacteria. -- The Bad Astronomer's Blog