From: Gail & Scott Finke
Subject: [h-cost] Re: linen blends

on 8/1/05 11:49 PM, kahlara wrote:

> I also have a question about linens - specifically the blended and synthetic
> ones. What sort of successes/failures have been experienced with these
> fabrics? The local Joann's often has them in 'suit weight' for less than $2.00
> a yard and I was thinking this might be good for a first effort at a sideless
> surcotte.

I've used these a lot for SCA gowns, and I always thought they were okay --
until I made things out of pure linen and pure wool. Now I think they stink.
They are not stable -- they change shape while you are sewing them, even if
you are good and iron them every step of the way. And they creep in the
sewing machine. Pieces that start off the same shape don't end up that way
by the time you finish the end of a seam. I was amazed at how pure linen and
pure wool just stay put, even on the bias (cross)! And if you think linen
wrinkles -- they wrinkle too, but they are floppier.

On they other hand, they look pretty good and they are cheap. I still have
some left and I do plan to use it. But next time I will starch everthing as
I sew in hopes that it stays put a bit. If you just want something to wear
and price is important, then buy it and expect a harder time sewing. It'll
look fine.

Gail Finke

------------------------------

From: Lalah
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re: linen blends

While I prefer the 100% linen, I have used the blends and not
had a problem. If you get the cotten/linen blend it acts and
looks pretty much the same as pure linen. I am not fond of the
rayon/linen blend. Just as a side note, I have found 100%
linen stuffed in with the blends at JoAnne's several times.
They don't seem to know or care that is is different, and the
price is the same. You just have to look at the end of every
bolt and maybe find one in a stack of a dozen blends.

Lalah, Never give up, Never surrender

------------------

I have used linen blends and find them oppressively warm compared to
100% linen.

liz young

And that depends on the blend. Rayon blended with linen should not be so;
polyester, however, may be. I think rayon is blended with linen mainly for
lower cost; polyester is blended to make it more easy-care--less prone to
wrinkles. Comfort is largely dependent on how well the fibers absorb moisture,
and rayon is more absorbent than linen.

Ann Wass