I know all three of these sources are pretty well-known and conventional,
and maybe somebody has already mentioned them in the context of the silk
hunt and I missed it. But I would never go in search of silk without
checking out:
http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com
http://www.fabrics.com
http://www.denverfabrics.com.

 Intermittently, fashionfabricsclub.com has had silk denims and silk
broadcloths of varying weights; I got a really fabulous black/olive shot
silk oxford that's a really nice heavy weight. Right now they have three
100% silk oxford fabrics (oxford is a plain weave, heavy weight) for $8 a
yard. Right now they also have a black and gold cross-woven twill
suit-weight silk for $10 a yard
(http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.cfm?ItmID=K193)
and a whole mess of $9 a yard shantungs.
Fabric.com has also had silk denim on occasion.

Both will let you return stuff if it's really not what you wanted when it
arrives, and both offer pretty good prices. They also both carry rather
extensive lines of douppionis, as does denverfabrics.com.

Fashionfabricsclub.com also sometimes has $4 noils, and often has $6 - $8
ones,  denverfabrics.com has them in the $5 - $8 range too. The selection
varies as they get new stuf in, and different fabrics go on sale at
different times, but if you keep an eye on them you can get some good noil
bargains. Right now denverfabrics.com is offering three matka-type silk
suitings for $3.98 a yard, for instance.

For silk gauzes, organzas, chiffons,  and other sheers, I would also always
check these three vendors first -- you never know, and sometimes they have
really wonderful stuff at really bearable prices.
--
Lauren M. Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]