<Huge snip>

Things that could influence the costuming business is what movie or television shows are popular at the time. I spoke with a lady in London who is very big into role-playing games online. One of the things her group loved is the HBO series Deadwood. I remember when the series Lovesome Dove was popular and the whole fashion industry did a swing towards Western style clothing for women. This even took a swing into the southwestern style home furnishings. Keeping an eye on Hollywood as to what is coming up and being the first one to offer adapted costumes, is a great way to get your name out there. If you watch the Hollywood rag shows like ET, Access, or get the Hollywood magazines like Entertainment Weekly, you can follow what is on the horizon as to what films are coming out. Vogue will occasionally have articles about the costumes from an upcoming film. With blogs being so popular on the web, you can find blogs about movies that people are awaiting to come out. Someone on h-costume mentioned a blog about the costumes from the last Star Wars... I think it was Michaela. I went to the blog and they had images of the costumes detailing. When I watched the film I didn't notice some of the details that we mentioned on the blog. But after the description, I would love to see it again, to see those details.

I have been a costume maker for 24 years and always swore I would not make wedding dress. I was wrong - I will make "period" wedding dresses - and these are mostly influenced by films and TV - I cannot count the number of Mr. Darcy coats or suits I have made. Pirates of the Caribean coats have been popular this season.

Kim, when in business you will be re-evaluating and changing your goals as your business ages. The market changes all the time. Have you found that you have seasons in your business? Most businesses do. During the slow seasons you can build up stock or look to other marketplaces that have seasons. Like when it is not Renfaires season, look to the bridal market. I know one costumer in California, who picks up movie sub-contracts in her off-season.

I tend to have more work toward the summer, for the many summer schools that my customers attend. Unlike the U.S. there are not the same kind of Faires, but summer schools, where groups learn different dances, are popular. The one thing I do not do is build up stock because as sure as God made little fishes, I will not be taking orders for that style any year soon. In my own business I only make to order. (Besides, there's all those tens of yards of cloth waiting for me to make clothes for ME!)

<snip)
When I started out in business, I had set in my mind that there were certain time periods that I hated. Never failed, I would get jobs working in those time periods and I learned to respect them.

Oh, yes, I'll agree with that, but I do have "cut off" dates. I do not make any "costume" after 1900 - I'm no good at it - or any men's clothing after about 1850, as the tailoring becomes too complicated. The wedding clothes I make are all based on period styles, and use the patterns I use for the rest of my business.

Suzi (making two 18th century wedding outfits right now!!)