> Sheridan,
> Thanks for the information - I'll have to snoop around my area, I don't
think that we have a strong Indian population though.

> Do you know of any good sources of authentic Indian patterns? I know
Folkwear has a few, but didn't know if there was anything else out there.
I've been trying to find a pattern for an authentic wedding sari suit; I
don't know if there is an official name for it.

> Thanks,
> Wendi

It might just take a bit of looking, there were several Bollywood movies
shot in and around Florida, and usually these movies are shot wherever there
is a fair sized Indian population, but you never know. :-)

For the wedding suit, were you looking for Sari or for Lhenga (sp?) or for
Salwar Kameez?
The only tricky part of a Sari is the fit of the Choli, and the slip for
under the sari itself is usually a very simple drawstring A-line skirt.
Lhenga are the blouse/skirt/dupatta (shawl) combination, also fairly easy to
put together if you find the right fabric, and Salwar Kameez (pants and
tunic) can be pretty easy to throw together as well, if you are familiar
with rectangular construction.

Folkwears patterns are just fine for modern wear, I wouldn't use them for
historical purposes.

I have yet to find a pattern (online or otherwise) for a modern Choli that
isn't a North American Tribal Dance pattern. The real ones are either made
by somebodies Auntie, someone who specializes in 'suits', or 'ready to wear'
from a garment factory in India. Most of the Indian folks I knew all had
theirs made by a family member or family friend, no patterns, all made up by
hand and custom to each person.

Not especially helpful, I know, but it's all I have managed to come up with
in the past couple of years. :-)

Anahita (sorry, I cant remember the spelling of your new name!) if you are
still lurking on this list, have you stumbled on anything like this?

Sheridan