It's pretty easy to put lace-up trimming down the front of a tank top. BTW, that was a "hippie" style too. It's certainly heavily done in ready-to-wear for the American "junior" market. In shopping malls and online catalogs, I've seen a lot of ready-to-wear "decorated" T shirts and tank tops. They're often quite charming.

I would guess Goths have to make most of their Goth clothes, although I've seen Goth clothing for sale on the net. In fact I bought some skirts that I found out are by a Goth ready-to-wear manufacturer, at www.artfulwears.com.

Something else about "wearable art"--to my mind it has a kind of "wild and wooly" aspect. It's not a well-made but conservative hand-knitted sweater. I love hand-knitted sweaters, but I don't think they're all wearable art. It's not a commercial T-shirt with some lace trim and/or appliques sewn on. Those can be very cute, but I don't think they're wearable art either. It's also not ticky-tacky-craftsy, kits-and-kitsch. Wearable art may or may not be related to current fashion, but it's experimental, and "different." That's what makes it art.

I agree that sewing an embroidered patch on your blue jeans, as many people did in the late 60s and early 70s, is not wearable art either. But some people went further, and were more "arty."

I should add that the modern vintage clothing market, or rather the modern perception of it, also dates from the "hippie" movement. To the generation before that, buying used clothing was something you avoided if possible, for its connotations of not being able to afford new, and even catching parasites or diseases from the previous owner. The "hippie" movement siezed on vintage clothing ("reconstructed" or not) as a way to both find different styles and to benefit the environment by recycling.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Jacqueline Johnson wrote:

I would agree. Define wearable art. The DIY movement is VERY strong and VERY mainstream. In particular among teenage girls. Just take a look at Etsy and you'll see the demographics.
http://www.etsy.com/
The most popular thing to make right now in the "reconstruct" part of DIY is t-shirts recounstructed to look like corsets. Some are really nice.

B.

"Wearable art", while not being exactly mainstream is at least
common. Places like Michael's craft stores carry supplies for making
wearable art, and a few kits for the same.

But what do you call "wearable art"? I'd say it's something more
avant-garde, or arty, than a nice but mainstream hand-knitted sweater.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com