Those held in the 19th century, which I see as the ancestors of some of today's "reenactments." Many were truly private invitation-only events.

A few people throw private at-home Victorian or other costumed dances today, particularly for things like theme weddings (another spin-off of reenactment IMO). But usually such events are public, buy-a-ticket, because they usually require renting a largish space. And I agree, people are often allowed to wear modern evening dress, although for some the "attempt" at a period costume is stipulated.
Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

I'm not sure of your meaning of Victorian costume balls - is it those held in the 19th century, or vintage dances now?

     -Carol