It's not just this corset. I've some across quite a number of references to mesh corsets from the late 1860s (when I was researching _Reconstruction Era Fashions_) through the rest of the 19th century. I haven't tried to make one though.

Fran
Lavolta Press--Books on historic costuming
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Elizabeth Walpole wrote:

Hi everyone,
I was browsing ebay looking for cheap corsets (I've worked out that it's
cheaper to buy one of those off the rack satin corsets to rip apart for the
steels than to buy the bones by themselves) and I came across this corset
from c. 1904
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Airy-c1904-Ladys-Summer-Corset_W0QQitemZ8334930447QQcategoryZ48865QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(http://snipurl.com/hqx7) I thought this use of mesh would help with some of
the complaints you often hear (e.g. 'corsets are too hot to wear in summer',
or 'It's too hot to wear that many layers. I'll bone the bodice instead')
and I wondered if anybody had experimented with using mesh as a corset
fabric and if so was the experiment successful? Any ideas on what sort of
fabrics available today would work for such a reproduction?
Elizabeth