I've seen the term "crochet needle" in English-language 19th-century crochet instructions, as a synonym for "crochet hook."

were crochetted with a small bone needle."

Crochet cannot be done with any kind of needle. Sorry, but your source must have been written by someone who doesn't know knit from crochet.

I didn't like how the source lumped knitting and crochet together under the same name of implement and in the same phrase, hence my reaction. My guess is that either the writer got his dates and techniques very wrong or that the technique in question is actually naalbinding, which superficially resembles both knitting and crochet and is done with a needle.

       CarolynKayta Barrows
dollmaker, fibre artist, textillian
         www.FunStuft.com

             //// \\\