The abolitionist John Brown was "famous" for wearing a brown corduroy suit (pre-1859 when he was hanged). My husband wants me to make him one and I have no idea what it would look like--the wales (wide or narrow?) , the color/shade of brown, the stlye of suit, etc.

Kate

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katy Bishop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:46 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] question about velvet

I have the ugliest 1880's bodice ever made of ick-brown fairly
wide-wale corduroy.  Nobody would ever believe it was accurate if I
reproduced it.  So homely.

Katy

On 11/26/05, Diana Habra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I saw the most delightfull printed roses velvet today. It is the kind > of
> velvet that is wowen into dimentional stripes.
> Dont know the english term for this, and i apologise for asking because
> many
> have asked before, but this velvet wich today is used for trousers and
> jackets, was that used in 18th century?
> If not it is such a shame, it would have ben wonderfull for jackets and
> skirts.........

Bjarne,

We call it corduroy and people have argued that it looks like "cut
velvet".  The "stripes" are called wales and the really thin waled
corduroy is what people say may be period all the way back to the
Renaissance.  I personally haven't seen any examples but I am sure
somebody on the list will have more information.

Diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
"Everything for the Costumer"

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
    Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
     Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.