Today's episode:

After they were come in, I went down and got through the croude almost as high as the King and the Embassadors, where I saw all the presents, being rich furs, hawks, carpets, cloths of tissue, and sea-horse teeth. The King took two or three hawks upon his fist, having a glove on, wrought with gold, given him for the purpose. The son of one of the Embassadors was in the richest suit for pearl and tissue, that ever I did see, or shall, I believe.

And later:

... being in great pain that my wife hath never a winter gown, being almost ashamed of it, that she should be seen in a taffeta one; when all the world wears moyre (mohair); so to prayers and to bed, but we could not come to any resolution what to do therein, other than to appear as she is.

More at: http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1662/12/29/

The notes there have another account of the same ambassadors:

John Evelyn’s Diary

“To Lond: Saw the Audience of the Moscovy Ambassador, which was with extraordinary state: for his retinue being numerous, all clad in vests of several Colours, & with buskins after the Eastern manner: Their Caps of furr, & Tunicks richly embrodrd with gold & pearle, made a glorious shew: The King being sate under the Canopie in the banqueting house, before the Ambassador went in a grave march the Secretary of the Embassy, holding up his Masters letter of Credence in a crimson-taffaty scarfe before his forehead: The Ambassador then deliverd it, with a profound reverence to the King, the King to our Secretary of State; it was written in a long & lofty style: Then came in the present borne by 165 of his retinue, consisting Mantles & other large pieces lined with Sable, Black fox, Ermine, Persian Carpets, the ground cloth of Gold and Velvet, Sea-morce teeth aboundance, Haukes, such as they sayd never came the like: Horses, said to be Persian, Bowes & Arrows &c: which borne by so long a traine rendred it very extraordinary: Wind musick playing all the while in the Galleries above: This finish’d & the Ambassador conveyed by the Master of Ceremonies to York house, he was treated with a banquet, that cost 200 pounds, as I was assured, &c:..” ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/humanities/John_Evelyn/#Evelyn

--
Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pre Argent

Snow ants are of course snow white, and travel in huge packs, are quite invisible against the snow. Usually, the only way to know they're nearby is when moose disappear in a puff of white with a little spattering of red. "The Great Canadian Wallpaper Festival" by Tempus Peregrinator