On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Kathy Page wrote:

I've been quiet and watching this convresation evolve,
and honestly I have been enjoying myself. It gives
food for thought as to why these underwear, and
another Venetian pair that indeed look like men's
breeches, exist in the first place. It also further
develops the question as to why one of them is stained
in a strategic place.

<snip -- just for context>

I'd like to note that the conclusion "medieval European women are portrayed wearing underpants only as a symbolic appropriation of masculinity" applies specifically to the medieval era. By the 16th century in both Italy and Spain (somewhat earlier in Spain than Italy) the social rules had clearly shifted. And outside Europe, the "pants=masculinity" equation can't be assumed at all.

Heather

--
Heather Rose Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]