> Does anyone here have Margos Elizabethan gentlemens pattern?
> I've asked on Margos list but can't get an answer - I'm
> pretty sure there is a correction that needs to be done to
> the neck of the mens doublet but I haven't got that page -
> can anyone here enlighten me?
> Thanks in advance, Aylwen

Just what problems are you having? I have made the doublet a few times for
my husband and don't recall having any troubles. I just checked my pattern
instructions for any notes that I might have jotted down (I try to do this
so I remember if I changed something for the next time) and have nothing
recorded for the neck-piece at all.

>I just bought and made that pattern in November, and found that there were
several corrections to pattern pieces,
>directions left off in some places, and at one place outright wrong
directions.  Off the top, I cannot remember what I
>had to do to make it work, so I guess I cannot be of much help.  I do
remember fighting with the collar, however, and it >seems to me that doing
what made sense at the time was the right thing to do.

>I would not recommend this pattern for someone who is not already familiar
with basic construction techniques for this
>type of garment.

>~Kimberley

I would agree with you that Margo's patterns do need a bit of prior sewing
experience. I have also found places where an step is left out - obvious if
you've sewn before, but not so obvious if this is your first sewing
experience.

>Bummers!  I just ordered the Gentlemen's Wardrobe pattern set to use for my
son's Faire outfit.  Is there a better one
>you would recommend?  This is my first time doing really historically
accurate costuming and I need to get it right.
>Rebecca Burch

There is really no better pattern than Margo's on the market (my opinion, of
course!) Her patterns are well researched and I think fulfill the
qualification of "historically accurate". The only way you could get more
accurate is to draft your own pattern using Janet Arnold, or some other
costume historian's sketches (or your own, if you are so lucky). What Faire
are you making the costume for? Is your son going to be on cast? I know for
a fact that Margo's patterns are used by cast members at many Faires across
the country - I have used them for myself and my husband at Bristol and
recommend them to the members of my Guilde, of which I am the costume
liaison.

>I also had a problem with the collar, made it over  several times and
finally gave up in frustration and went on to
>another  project.  It's been sitting in my UFO pile for a couple years
now.  I just thought it was me, since I had never
>made anything  like it before.  Now I feel a bit better that I'm not the
only  one!  Might even start working on it
>again...  :-)
> ~mary

Again, I do not have any notes at the doublet collar section of my pattern
instructions. It is a tricky part, but if you follow the instructions *very*
*carefully*, it works fine. It is one of those spots where I found I can't
go rushing through, or I will mess up.

OK, I'm reading the instructions themselves over carefully. I think that the
step that is missing is to slash the seam allowance to the inside corner
dot, so that the piece will pivot and be able to sew the collar piece to the
shoulder/front. Does that make sense? Not something that I needed to note
for myself, because I just knew/figured what needed to be done from prior
experiences.

Rebecca Schmitt
aka Agness Cabot, Guilde of St. Lawrence
Bristol Renaissance Faire

My arms are too short to box with God.  --Johnny Cash