From: Lavolta Press <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:26:53 -0800
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re:patterns

What I'm interested in knowing, is how Simplicity chooses
patterns--aside from market surveys, don't they do those?--and the
people who design them.  Is it all freelance?  I know someone via the
net--or used to, she's not posting any more--who had a small line of
reenactment patterns.  She approached Simplicity with an idea for a
pattern she thought would work well in their historic line. Simplicity
told her to work it out and submit it to them on a freelance basis.

I don't know what happened with her idea.  But is that how all
Simplicity's historic patterns are designed, by freelancers?

I hate to say this but, the market for general sewing still seems to be
much larger than the market for reenactment sewing. Yes, reenactors have
to make their own clothes far more than most people. Yes, most women
have jobs outside the home that limit their time for sewing. But there
are still a lot more mainstream sewers than reenactors. Notice
Simplicity hedged their bets on that bustle dress by marketing it as a
wedding dress--many people get married, some more than once.

Sewing is a hobby these days, not a need, for most people.  Many people
who could buy an $8 blouse at Wal-Mart, just want something much better
quality and more stylish--and they enjoy sewing.

Fran
Lavolta Press Books of Historic Patterns
http://www.lavoltapress.com