From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of E House
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 7:56 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: [h-cost] German water--attn dyers

One of my customers, an American who lives in Germany, recently mentioned
something that I'd never heard before: for some reason, a lot of dyes bleed
in their water, which wouldn't bleed in US water (definitely including
commercial dyes, on cloth from the US and possibly also from Europe).

Do we have any people from Germany on the list?  Have you dealt with this
phenomenon?  Any idea what might be in German water/missing from German
water that wouldn't be in/missing from US water? Could it be flouride? I'm
trying to find some sort of mordant/dye setting chemical that I could use,
that would fix the dye on the cloth I'm about to use for her gown.

Aside from some flouridated toothpaste I can only get from the dentist, I
have no ideas for a source of OTC flouride, but if flouride is absent from
German water that'd definitely be the first thing I'd want to try.  My only
other idea for the moment is vinegar, which I think is not technically a
mordant, but does have dye-setting properties on at least some fibers. (The
fabrics I'll be using are linen and silk.)

-E House