At a Victorian Ball a few years ago someone's daughter wore an actual
antique 1860's dress, and all my friends and I could think of was what
if it's "arsenic" green!  We warned the family not to wear it again
just in case....

Katy

On 3/18/06, Bjarne og Leif Drews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Not a reply to the previous mail about books, but the head`er made me think
> about a story i heard about poison dyes.
> In about 1840ies i heard there was a new invention with a very bright green
> colour. They made wall hangings with this dyed silks and also it became a
> very popular colour for fashionable ball dresses. But they didnt realise
> that it was a very poisonable dye. The skin would consume the poison.
> Have anybody other heard this?
> It was a story i heard at Gammel Estrup where they have a room with silk
> tapestries in this collour.
>
> Bjarne
>

> Leif og Bjarne Drews
> www.my-drewscostumes.dk
>
> http://home0.inet.tele.dk/drewscph/

Katy Bishop, Vintage Victorian
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                www.VintageVictorian.com
     Custom reproduction gowns of the Victorian Era.
      Publisher of the Vintage Dress Series books.