On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Jennifer Geard wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 04:50, Kate M Bunting wrote:
> > We've debated this topic more than once and the general consensus seems to
> > be that chemises/shifts before the 18th century had stitched-down gathers,
> > not drawstrings.
>
> I'm well behind and paying only another flying visit, but for what
> _might_ be another take on gathered chemise necklines, have a look at
> Raphael's "La Donna Velata"
> (http://gallery.euroweb.hu/html/r/raphael/5roma/3/03velata.html -
> click image for larger version). Are the black bows with aglets
> functional or purely decorative?
>
> Ten years ago I made a version of this assuming the bow laces were
> functional and that they served to gather the camisa neckline. Using
> very fine fabric, separate gathering cords for the front, back and
> shoulders, and the tightest channel I could sew for the laces [*] I
> managed to make something that captured the "look". It's quite
> possibly a fake, but if so it's a good enough fake that it made me
> wonder whether this might have been the way the gathering was
> achieved, even if it was then secured to a woven band.

I remember this one! We had a great discussion of it in May 2004. I've
saved a post I wrote then, which I'll append below.

ISTR there were lots of different readings of the image, of which mine is
only one. Probably worth going back to the archives to read them all, if
this image interests you.

--Robin