> I think the identity problem is with

Yes, the problem we will always have here is different names used by
manufacturers and across national borders.

Here on the correct side of the Pacific, for instance, a bang, cotton, and a
fringe have different meanings than are usual in North America.

When I go to the dealers to buy kid (leather, not half-built people) I expect a
thinner, soft leather with a little bit of stretch to it. A skin will be around
6 square feet in size and come from a young goat. One side is shiney in the
traditional leather look, the reverse is more fibrous like suede. Colours can
be standards like brown and black through to outrageous hot ones, all depending
upon what has been done at the tannery. If you get lucky enough, you will find
some that has been printed or stamped with a pattern.

Chamois is another kind of kid skin to my thinking, sometimes used for binding
of clothing, often for gloves and so forth, but most commonly used for cleaning
gooey bits of kangaroo off the grill of the Ford Falcon. It was marketed
as "shammee" for many years.

Unfortunately, these are available in synthetics now. Fake chamois can be
bought for cleaning purposes, it is somewhere between a loosely woven soft
cloth and felt. Upholsterers have been using fake leathers for some time now
including very soft vinyl they claim to be as close as kid as you can get -- of
course, they can never show a kid skin with criss-cross fibres just under the
surface!

Yeah, I know, all this is boring for most but we are all gonna keep an eye on
language differences or we will be like the five blind men trying to describe
an elephant.

By the way, kangaroo? Did I say kangaroo? If you like kid you will love
kangaroo hide!

-C.