Quoting Lloyd Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I have to add that after examining extant 18th C garments, I am amazed at
all the piecing that was used to get the whole costume out of a given fabric
yardage.Lots!! Matching patterns, never mind grain, did not seem to be a
high priority. Using today's fabric widths often prompts wider skirts or
fuller sleeves because our aesthetic consciousness allows for an opulence
that may never have been possible in times past.

Another earlier example is the Eleanor of Toledo "burial dress" -- she
also wore it when she was alive and was painted in this gown at least
once (so you can't say it was pieced because she was buried in it)
http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/EleanoraBurialDress-150.jpg

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer