Because the problem isn't that films are inaccurate -- the problem is when audiences believe what they see in films.

On the other hand, the benefit is that films, novels, and other forms of fiction have gotten many people interested in historical subjects who might well not have given them a second thought. Except for getting a passing grade in required American History and History of Civilization courses--and then forgetting almost all the material immediately after finals.

Let's face it, history is neither particularly valued nor particularly job-getting in our society. My bet is that most college history professors seeing enthusiastic enrollment increase after a major film for that era is released, waft a mental "Thanks!" to the producers.

The reality, also, is that there's absolutely nothing you can do to make the film industry work your way--unless you're a mogul in it. You're just another viewer. If you don't like the film, get rid of the DVD and view another one you like better.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com