> Um, *that* was a throwaway line, and meant to amuse. This is Mary of
> Egypt:
>
> http://www.wga.hu/html/m/memling/3mature1/17rein4.html
> (right side)
>
> See, no implications for costume study there.

     Interesting - Mary Magdalene also has the association of being a
penitent wandering in the desert for many years, and long hair is one
of her identifiers!  There was a lot of confusion between the Marys,
so I guess Mary of Egypt is where the prostitution came from?  That's
a discussion for another time....

> (Interestingly, the woman on the left is St. Wilgifortis, whom I do use in
> the lecture, as she owes her existence to an error of costume
> interpretation. But that's one of the better examples in the lecture, and
> I don't wish to spoil it here.)

     The description on that page says a lot!  I guess I'll have to wait
until you give that lecture somewhere around me.

Elizabeth wrote,
> Ah, you see my sample answer would have been 'because it pre-dates Dan
Brown

     Again, not relevant since many had that theory before DVC brought it
to popular culture

> and in the Medieval period you could have been killed for saying what he
> said' several schisms were eradicated (usually by violent means) for saying
> much less controversial things than Jesus had sex with Mary Magdalene.

     Yes, and...?  That's the whole point, that the clues were *hidden* in
the paintings, and now people are looking for those clues!

     Margaret Starbird showed a series of paintings of Mary Magdalene,
with identifiers such as red brocade, an ointment jar, long hair, and
(the new one for me) Xs being included either in her outfit, the
architecture or somewhere else in the painting.

     -Carol