At 06:46 30/04/2006, you wrote:
Bjarne, you've been given many good suggestions. The first 17th Century
program I ever saw was one of the earliest Masterpiece Theater (BBC)
productions. It was "The First Churchills." This was before I had interest
in costuming, so I don't know if the costumes are any good, but I thought it
was quite lush at the time.

LynnD

You've reminded me. I don't know if any of these are available on DVD but here goes.

History of the English Speaking People (based on Churchill's book, and some costumes made by Jean Hunnisett - good shapes, odd fabrics.)

Wars of the Roses - based on Shakespeare's plays, recording of the Royal Shakespeare Company's stage production - fabulous shapes, wrong fabrics (cottons with glue and glitter patterns - very effective on stage)

The Age of Kings  Kings from 1066 in England - don't remember costumes!

Also you could try the BBC shop http://www.bbcshop.com/icat/homenewreleases Try clicking on Drama and Arts

Suzi