I have both of her books so I can start there. I've been researching Tudor/Elizabethan garments since last October so I'm always looking for more images to look at and study. I also have the Margo Anderson sets but haven't cut them yet. I've copied them onto other paper. I've borrowed the Queen Elizabeth Unlocked book from the library (lots of information in that one that I really didn't need to know). I've joined discussion boards for questions and tips. I've found so many I'd like to make but just don't have the money or time to make them all, so I decided on 2- an Eleanor de Toledo type and an Anne Boline one for when my daughter plays Princess Elizabeth. She wants us to dress alike but I think that is close enough. We'll be the same time period.
I love the paned sleeves.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Suzi Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:25 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] "Mary Queen of Scots" Costume Pix

At 02:21 04/05/2006, you wrote:
Is that style of dress come from a specific portrait and called a certain dress like the Eleanora de Toledo gown? Do you have a place I can get a similar pattern so I can make one for myself? I have lots of popular made patterns but not that one. I love the red and the split front. Any suggested online sources or images I can refer to long the way? I'm making one for my daughter from the Princess Elizabeth portrait 1545. It looks great so far. I love it. I can't wait to make one for myself. I thought of making several for us as we start our journey into Ren Faires and SCA events.

No, the dress is not from a particular portrait, but is a similar style to many Elizabethan dresses. I draped the pattern from Jean Hunnisett's 1569 "Young Girl" pattern, as I don't use paper patterns. All the underwear is also from Hunnisett. The only thing I made up myself is the puffed oversleeves. All the dresses are based on the same pattern, except the Titian copy, which was based on the earlier pattern in the Hunnisett book.

Just Google for "Tudor Images" or "Elizabethan Images". I have a very large library of costume books, postcards and photographs, and as I have been making costumes for a very long time, I have loads of images in my head - I don't often use online sources unless it is something specific, like my recent request for pregnant Tudor ladies for a student of mine.

Hope that helps

suzi

Earlier in the year, you may remember I made some costumes for a group of dancers called Danse Ecosse http://www.apux03.dsl.pipex.com/

You can now see a photo, if you are interested, here. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Sistersuzi/Various4thMarch2006003.jpg and here. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Sistersuzi/Various4thMarch2006008.jpg

The lady on the right in the first picture is wearing a dress copied from a Titian painting of Isabella of Portugal, which I made about 20 years ago for a previous customer, which is why it needs re-fitting. And why the lady in the middle is not wearing a corset is a question I shall be asking the next time I see her - her dress looks great with the corset!

Suzi