At 08:15 12/05/2006, you wrote:
HI,
Can anyone reccomend a book ,with drawings or photos , of Tudor and Elizabethan jewelery? Or even leads to good paintings would help... I 'm trying to reproduce Elizabethan earrings and I don't know wether they had pierced ears ,for ladies and gents, at that time period,or wether piercing was consider "Crude" or lower class? If it was acceptable, how were pearls or jewels suspended from the wires? I'm assuming they were wires- not post/studs-, if they were wires what shape were they?
  Any and all info greatly appreciated.
  melody
There is a catalogue of an exhibition called "Princely Magnificence" which has photos of jewellery for the period you are interested in. It has scholarly articles, and photos of people wearing jewellery as well as the jewellery itself. I have a copy and can post more details if it would help. It is quite old, though, (maybe 15-20 years) and possibly out of print. I seem to remember it was an exhibition at the V and A.

To answer your question, pierced ears have been fashionable for hundreds of years, and I believe that you can see earrings on most of the portraits of Queen Elizabeth that are pierced in style. However, you also see them "hung" on the ears with narrow, usually black, ribbon. Unfortunately I cannot remember which particular painting I've seen with this effect.

I don't know what style of wire is correct, but when Annie the Pedlar (http://www.anniethepedlar.com/) made the earrings for my Elizabeth figure, she did a lot of research, and made earrings with a sort of concealed fastening so the "rings" looked like complete hoops.

Suzi