Greetings!

Although I did a fair bit of craft sewing, embroidery, and crochet from the time I was about eight, my first attempt at something historical-ish was in my senior year in high school, for my church's madrigal dinner. I was playing the head page who turns out to be an evil sorceress. So I made a sort of fancy tunic thing and put glitter in my hair. My next exposure--and first exposure to costume research--was for making some garments for the "human chessboard" my dorm used to do at the Ohio State Renaissance Fair. This is where I learned such important things as: the hole for the head in a tunic is lower in front than in back, and upholstery velvet is a b*tch to sew sometimes :-) The research consisted of going to the public library and looking at their one book on historical costume and deciding that "Byzantine" was the look I was going for.

My first serious attempts came my first year in grad school, when I joined the SCA. Although my first garment was something I now refer to as the "Ostrogothic prom dress" (green taffeta bog-style gown), I "got better" fairly quickly, since being a history grad student did make me start glomming on to what was a good source and what wasn't fairly quickly. (The design of that first dress wasn't the issue--I just had no clue about fabric at the time....)

But I think I have to trace my interest in historical clothing back to the sixth grade, when we did "Shakespeare in the Schools." I played Hamlet.

Susan