I guess that us Europeans have it a bit easier. In elementary school 1st grade I learned to crochet. In second grade I learned to knot. We also learned the various embroidery stitches and some sewing. I remember my first crochet project in school was a stuffed elf. The first knitting project was a pair of house slippers with a felt sole we had to saew the knitted upper to. Laster we learned to knit gloes and socks. We crochet doilies and afgans and eve a sweater. My first sewing project was i 5th grade. We sewed a christening gown of all things that was decorated with shadow stitch embroidery. The embroidery is done on the wrong side of the very fine linnen, with bright colors so it shines throughin pastel tones. The sewing was all by hand. I remember my Mom was really upset at the useless Christening gown! Afterall we were only 10 years old! O, I forgot to say I grew up in Germany! Now I live in the States, but I still knit, crochewt, sew, quilt, etc. etc. Sometimes I even read a book while knitting!

Hope that does not make me too strange!
Elisabeth

-----Original Message-----
From: Adele de Maisieres <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Historical Costume <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sat, 27 May 2006 08:38:29 +1200
Subject: Re: [h-cost] in search of a lost person

Marie Schnoor wrote:
Oh man, I have to totally dissagree with you there! Crochet just >
makes me feel like a fish in a net! I start off with that wee hook > thing and loop it around and I end up tying my toes together... > somehow...

But knitting, that's orderly and straightforward.

I always say, it's like being a Beatles fan or and Elvis fan; most >
people I know are either one or the other. I don't know anyone who can
do both knit and crochet.

I can. I learned to crochet as a child, but only taught myself to knit a few years ago. Knitting is _so_ much easier to mess up and so much harder to fix when you do.

-- Adele de Maisieres