In a message dated 6/3/2006 10:55:58 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Um,  sorry, but you may want to re-think the bracketed part of this
statement.

Yes, you are correct. My statement is a bit vague concerning a  more
complicated trend. But it only really applies to a short period of  time. And I
should
have said ready made instead of machine made. But considering  the early
sewing machines seem, to us, a real pain [hand cranked] and  expensive... plus
attitudes of the wealthy [my snobby rich Grandmother had silk  blouses hand
made
up until the 1960s!] things really don't start cranking up  until improvements
went up and costs went down. Lots of 1860s gowns  are machined together, with
a lot of trimming done by hand....a sorta missing  link phase. But by the
time we get to bustle, you really see the machine at  work all over the place.

My main point was that the machine, once completely accepted, which took a
little time, changed the way clothes were cut. And even that doesn't really hit
 it fair and square. There is also the time it took to discover what a clever
 seamstress could actually do with a machine....the development of machine
techniques. All these things are happening at once.

One thing I find utterly fascinating is the logic of pre-machine clothes  and
how it differs from post-machine clothes. We as costumers are often trying
to find ways to make things look like they're done by hand...with a  machine!