From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Melody Watts
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 11:56 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: RE: [h-cost] help for removing creases in silk?

Another costumer and board mod is/was a costumer for the theater and movies.
Pleated silk was recently discussed ,and the "secret" reveled...since silk
is a protien -like hair- the material is prepleated ,secured with rubber
bands and dipped in ...permanent wave solution!
it sets the pleats---permanetely.... when I did hair ages ago we "air
neutralized" the solution by just letting it air dry on the rollers,so no
peroxide was involved to bleach out the hair. Don't see why this can't be
done for silk.
Sometimes, people would come in with a really tight perm the wanted
"relaxed a bit" or totally removed.
We would saturate the hair with wave solution, comb the hair
straight,process and rinse,....volia! ...straight hair again.
This could work for the material,may require you using a long flat water
proof surface,some inexpensive perm solution, and a bit of patience wetting
and smoothing those wrinkles.
I'd chop off a small piece and try.....nothing to loose.
Melody

"Sharon at Collierfam.com" wrote:
I remember my costume prof in college showing us a Fortuny silk dress.
It was permanantly pleated and you could ball it up and it would still be in
pleats ages later. When it first came out, it was a big deal and the process
was a closely guarded secret (according to my teacher).