Prefixes are to the subject line, as in CHAT: Is everyone in New Orleans OK after the hurricane?

They do a lot of good because you can set up a filter for them in your mail browser or in your ISP, if your ISP has that capability. That is how I can avoid downloading 50 chat messages a day (and I'm not exaggerating) from the translators' list. They chat on many subjects, but almost all the chat is labeled CHAT:

However, I do agree with all the suggestions to have good subject lines, change them when you change the subject. I also think a list change to reply-to-sender would be good. The latter makes people think every time they post about whether this really should be a private message.

I don't get particularly stirred up about whether people snip posts much or not (despite still having dialup because my-husband-the-computer-programmer, who sets up these things, is ticked off at A T & T and he says most broadband goes through A T & T one way or another). On the other hand, snipping is never a bad idea, either.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com

Land of Oz wrote:

I think the "prefixes" are intended for the subject line, right?