May I add that some of us have just been staying *out* of the whole mess?
;o)
I'm on H-costume for the sheer variety of topics and times and talents, from
the long-time amateurs such as myself to the professionals in theatre or
research--it's all yummy.  (and no, I didn't start out intending to make
them all "t" words, but it's really hot here, so what the heck....) I don't
mind the occasional chattiness at all--if there's a whole bunch of "me, too"
posts, I just delete them as I would any thread in which I have no interest.
So here's one person who will upfront say that she likes the chat.  It's a
bit like being in a room full of people (as in a party, or a fun
convention), all talking about similar things, all at once, and I tune in to
what I want to listen to and contribute to.  I don't find myself cringing in
the least (groaning, occasionally, though, if something goes on and on and
on, as this whole mess seems to be....)
On the other hand, I have enough to do with my work and leisure time without
fussing over whether I've got the right freaking "tag" in my subject line.
I already do try to remember the basics of "OT" for "off-topic," or "OOP"
for "out of period" on time-restricted lists, and things like changing
subject lines.
And I really don't see much "speculation" over anyone's personal life that's
uninvited.  Frankly, if someone drops a big, blue note in the middle of the
list, I think they're asking for comment, or they wouldn't be going to the
trouble of typing it up and sending it.  Ditto, snarky words or sneaky
comments, or outright rudeness.
--Sue