At 2:06 PM -0400 9/24/06, Catherine Olanich Raymond wrote:
On Sunday 24 September 2006 5:18 am, Sharon L. Krossa wrote:
 > Other, of course, then the general modern movie fashion for basing
 > historical film costuming on sf/fantasy costuming. (In my opinion, a
 > study of the development of historical movie/tv costuming can't be
 > done without considering and covering the developments in fantasy
 > film/tv costuming -- most modern historicals owe more to Xena Warrior
 > Princess and the like than any historical research for their
 > costuming... And by this I really do mean there is a connection, not
 > just that the costuming isn't as historically accurate as it could
 > be.)

Though there's also a decent argument that it's a waste of time and money to
devote historical costume research to a summer popcorn movie--which this
particular "King Arthur" definitely was.  So that leaves the costume
department cribbing from the SF/Fantasy section--the other source of popcorn
movies.....

It isn't just "summer popcorn" historical movies that get a great deal of their historical costuming ideas from sf/fantasy films/programs. From what I have seen, they are *all* doing it. From what I have observed, the two genres feed on each other across the board with regard to costuming (and hairstyles, etc.).

Further, it should be noted that "King Arthur" was one of those historical films that went out of its way, both in marketing and in how the film itself was presented, to claim historical accuracy for itself. So, while a producer could make the argument that it would be a waste of time and money to research historical clothing, that argument would have been more than usually hypocritical, given the money spent elsewhere in the budget combined with the claims being made for the movie.

Sharon
--
Sharon Krossa, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Need help with technology for your research or teaching? Hire me!