In a message dated 9/24/2006 9:57:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

But if  you are thinking of films like "Troy" (which I'm convinced was
costumed
primarily from the local Indian bazaar) and "Alexander" (Angelina Jolie in  a
one-shouldered spandex "chiton"--really!), I'm inclined to agree with  you.

********************

"Troy" was not great [one of my fave designers though, Bob Ringwood. He
designed "Dune". But maybe he was having a bad day on "Troy"] Still there's a
consistency to the look.

The movie I love to hate the costumes in is
"Bram Stoker's Dracula"

Dreadful...doubly dreadful! Some lov-er-ly bustles gowns....in 1898????
[they emblazon that date in 20 foot numbers on the screen at the beginning] The

men are all over the place...sometimes in one costume. Dracula 1st looks like a
 Chinese opera singer in drag, then once in London, he looks like Leon
Russell,  Then he rises out of his coffin in a Gustav Klimt robe....and that
Kabuki
costume Lucy is supposed to get married in....

It was all over the place. There was no logic or center to the very concept
of the costumes. I don't get it. A big fat F for the designer. She gets an F
instead of F- because she can design a beautiful gown.

Then there's "Vanity Fair"...that one gets the minus. Yuk!

Of course historical accuracy rarely works for film or theatre. Design
elements have to enhance the concept of the show. Even "Dangerous Liaisons" has

some aspects that were tweaked to make otherwise accurate costumes look
"better". The only film [films...it's really two] I've seen where accuracy
really
worked is "Little Dorrit"