In a message dated 10/29/2006 2:54:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Also, I  remember something about a certain kind of green dye being
dangerous. It  was used in fabric and wallpaper, and children who ate the
paper scraps got  sick, also the people wearing a garment could get sick.
There was something  on this list a while ago about someone having an old
dress she wanted to  wear, but was told to be careful because of potentially
harmful  dyes.

Certainly some aniline dyes could be toxic while being used. The stories
about their danger after dyeing, however, sound very much like what we would
today call urban legends.  For example, supposedly someone wore mittens  dyed
with one of the new reddish dyes.  The mittens got wet in the snow,  the person
pulled them off with the teeth, and got sick.  Another one of  the stories was
about how people boiled potatoes in a pot that had been used for  dyeing. Why
I question the veracity of these stories is I found the same stories
re-printed about 10 years later, and with just vague details--some of the
hallmarks
of "urban legends."

The wallpaper, though, is a little different.  Arsenic was used in  green
pigments (not dyes). Pigments need a fixative to attach to paper and  fabric,
and
it is not too farfetched to think they could flake off and be  harmful.
Again, the contemporary literature has stories of such things, but they  are
impossible to verify at this late date. The most vivid, so to speak, was  about
woman who used green crepe paper (evidently colored with an arsenical
pigment),
for a costume and got deathly ill.

Ann Wass