I'm intrigued by the reference to Elizabeth's "second link"--I can't find the
message this clearly refers to, and maybe "hair taping" would be helpful to me.

In my annual "Queen of Yore" gig at a Medieval Banquet church fund-raiser, I
fight with my hair (and lose) every year. The King and I (haha) don't wear
headdresses--in fact, he won't even consent to a crown but last year acquiesced
to my proffered filet, another of which I also wore last year to complement
him. A proper headdress would be nice, but the logistics of the event, from
dressing space on through chair-to-table distance (our thrones have arms)
militate against it, as does the King's preference. (The king is a professional
and known actor, a wonderful personality, and a very overweight man--I think
his objection to crowns, rings, and other encircling things is a result of this
last feature, but any of these would encourage me to defer to his strongly
expressed sentiments.)

I have hip-length hair, basic beige but dramatically going white in streaks.
What I'd like to do is braid it and coil it over my ears (very "yore")--but I
can't find a reliable way of anchoring the coils. One year in frustration I
gave up and piled it on top of my head and looped pearls around it; one year I
just made numerous loops and tied them together above my ears--this looked very
Heidi, and they flopped like Beagle's ears when I turned my head...Last year I
had a notion of "sewing" the nested coils together with gold cord and then
tieing the cord to the filet, but that was an unmitigated disaster that I
ripped out with only ten minutes to spare before our grand processional
entrance, settling for a bun at the nape of the neck plus those trusty pearls.

Can someone direct me to a website or other directions for appropriate and
manageable Yore Hair? The Burgundy-style gown has a standing collar.

Ever grateful--
Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer