Those laws might also have somthing to do with paper production. Seem to
remember a law, somewhere, probably england or denmark, where people were
forbidden to be buried in linen and cotton. Wool cannot be used for paper and
it would be a waste to put linen in with wool when the time came to reuse the
fibers. As you get closer to the industrial revolution, the more the need for
sources for paper increase, which is only made good by the invention of the
woodpulp paper (I do bookbinding as a hobby too), which is by many still
counted as inferior to ragpaper

  Tania (Denmark)

E House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I couldn't quote you chapter and verse at the moment, but I've run across
quite a few regulations/laws about mixing fibers & fiber content. From what
I can remember, they all boiled down to either quality control, or truth in
advertising, and a lot of them were pushed by whichever guild applied. The
only source I can think of for examples at the moment is Mizzoui's cotton
book, which I don't have, or possibly textiler hausrat, which ditto.

-E House