On Jan 2, 2007, at 5:00 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] movie costumes

In the one about Joseph, Potiphar and his wife look fantastic! If I
remember....she was in a sheer coral red crinkled gauze shift to her feet
that had a
turquoise knitted over dress, very open in its working, that made the
whole
thing appear like a coral and turquoise geometric patterned tube that
clung
tightly to the body. The naked body showed thru the bright gauze and the
open
work knitted shift had bits of gold bobbles worked into it...and it ended
in
tied tassels at her ankles. She wore that familiar wig, like a big hair
helmet
with hammered gold leaves that dangled and shimmered all over it. The
dark
cole eyes and red  lips....she looked like she stepped off a Pyramid
wall!

Not if what she was wearing was obviously knitted.  That's a humongous
boo-boo, right there. Also, the color of the gown sounds really wrong--is
there any evidence of linens being dyed in Egypt at that time?
--Sue

From the description, it sounds like it might have been inspired by a surviving Egyptian "bead net" dress -- a very open network made of threaded beads. The one I'm thinking of is basically a tubular sheath with shoulder straps and at the bottom hem it has a "fringe" of dangling flower-shaped beads. _Might_ -- I'd have to see the original to know if the suspicion holds up. There's a rather dark photograph of the item I'm thinking of about halfway down the page at:

http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/sexuality.html

Heather