On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Jean Waddie wrote:

> These make me wonder whether the supposedly square / rectangular waist
> aprons, without a separate waistband, are extended in a similar way to
> provide ties.  You need an extremely large square to be able to just
> tie the corners around your waist.  But it does seem very wasteful if
> they are cut in one piece as they seem to be.

When I need an apron, I take a linen rectangle (which I normally use as a
napkin), tie a ribbon or cord around my waist with the bow in front, fold
over the short edge of the napkin by a handsbreadth, and tuck it into the
ribbon to hold it across my front. You wouldn't be able to tell from a
distance that the ribbon isn't attached. I have no authority for how I do
this and wouldn't present it as "authentic," but it works, uses known
technology, and looks like the pictures.

--Robin