Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Jean Waddie wrote:

These make me wonder whether the supposedly square / rectangular waist
aprons, without a separate waistband, are extended in a similar way to
provide ties.  You need an extremely large square to be able to just
tie the corners around your waist.  But it does seem very wasteful if
they are cut in one piece as they seem to be.

When I need an apron, I take a linen rectangle (which I normally use as a
napkin), tie a ribbon or cord around my waist with the bow in front, fold
over the short edge of the napkin by a handsbreadth, and tuck it into the
ribbon to hold it across my front. You wouldn't be able to tell from a
distance that the ribbon isn't attached. I have no authority for how I do
this and wouldn't present it as "authentic," but it works, uses known
technology, and looks like the pictures.

--Robin

I can see that for the narrow ones that hang flat. But can you reproduce the look of the ones that pull and drape, like the Bakery and Buttermaking ones? I find it particularly interesting that these don't seem to tie around the actual waist, but hang lower.
--
Jean Waddie