American here - ultramarine was strong darkish slightly greenish blue
for me -when I was a girl - maybe a generational, not national, thing?

Patty

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Suzi Clarke
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:22 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost]Colour names, was Need Help

At 09:06 26/01/2007, you wrote:

>Kate Bunting
>Librarian and 17th century reenactor

> >Bear in mind that the meanings of many Victorian color names changed
> >from fashion season to fashion season; and also, different, trendier
> >names were often applied to the same old colors.
>
>I find this is still true. Here in the UK "aubergine" is usually a dark
>purple (the colour of what you Americans call eggplants), but in a
>recent catalogue I've seen the name applied to a lighter
>pinkish-purple.

I was buying cotton thread yesterday, and the "mauve/purple/paler
aubergine" thread was called "Ultramarine." Now when I was a girl, as
they say, ultramarine was a strong darkish bright blue. My American
companion said that the purple-ish colour was a colour/name
association she knew - I didn't!

Suzi