Hello all!

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know that much about embroidery.
I want to put gold couching on velvet. Should I make a frame big enough to
accomodate the entire pattern piece?
I would think that a hoop would damage the velvet, so I'd rather not do that.

What if I'm embroidering an entire skirt? Do I need a frame big enough for that
pattern piece as well?
Or....should it be embroidered on a different fabric and appliqued onto the
garment?

I'm not as concerned with historically accurate techniques, yet, as I am with
just getting from point A to point B with as few migraines as possible.

Thanks!
Victoria